Never Give UP

Mikell - Provo, Utah

When my 30 year older brother was informed that his 9 year fight against cancer was coming to an end and that he only had a few months left to live, I watched my family be overcome with enormous despair. The past nine years had been overwhelming enough, as the doctors told my brother again and again that he had another tumor or needed more chemo. This last and final blow was the worst. Everyone around him simply gave up; that was it, it was not worth the fight. My brother, however, seemed stronger than ever. He decided that it was not the end, he did not allow despair to over come him, but he instead had the courage to have hope. He coined his own motto – “Never give up!” When the cancer took his life only a few weeks later, we all had to question the hope my brother had. Was it pointless? Was the hope for survival a waste of energy?

I have come to the conclusion, through much thought, that his hope was not pointless. Hope has the power to fill our lives with happiness. A man once said, “There may be times when we must make a courageous decision to hope even when everything around us contradicts this hope.” I have come to realize that when we hope we are better able to bear our suffering. The same man also said, “The things we hope in sustain us through trials, temptations, and sorrow. All who suffer, all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely, I say- never give in. Never surrender. Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.” My brother never gave in. He had hope, maybe not to live, but hope that death is not the end. He had hope that he would see his family again, that his wife and baby would be well taken care of. My brother was able to bear his burden with a positive outlook and with happiness in his countenance. Now that he has passed I understand that I need to have the courage to be hopeful. Though I am still sad about his parting, I know I will see him again, I have that hope and so I am able to bear my sorrows. I adopt the motto- “never give up!”