Kyle - hillsboro, Oregon

I believe that all kids need to use their imagination every day. Without imagination our lives will be dull and bleak. Kids need to express what their thinking and be playful and I’m not talking about those educational video games that parents give their kids. Now a day’s kids are watching too much TV, and playing more video games than any one person should. They are losing all sense of importance and fun that an average kid should encounter every single day.

If a person has a good imagination they can grow up it be smart, healthy and successful. Imagination gives kids a reason to go outside and play with friends, animals, or even by themselves. Going outside more gives them a better feel of the world and which is important and useful for kids to know. That’s how I learned a lot about myself and nature all around me.

When I was 4 or 5 years old I had the biggest imagination. You could give me a stick, a pinecone, or even a rock and I could think of something to entertain me for hours. A stick could be a horse, or a sword, and even a snake. Today if you went up and gave a kid a stick they would just drop it on the ground and run because they thought you were a mad man, or put it in a fire. I was a shy boy when I was little. So the best way for me to play was to imagine things. I would play by myself for hours. As I got older I met real friends but I never forgot about the ones who stayed with me when I was alone. As I neared the 3rd and 4th grade, all the video games came out. My friends and I were game crazy. I spent a lot of the day playing game cube or Nintendo 64. My imagination shrunk too little, to nothing.

After I realized this, I started to play sports and other things outside. Even if it was raining, (which it always is in Oregon) my friends and I were jumping and playing in the big, deep, puddles. To us they were as big as the ocean and full of crazy creatures too. I also liked to draw my imagination out on the limitless ideas of pieces of paper. I could draw anything I imagined. I filled books and books up of my crazy but not always good cartoons and drawing. So if you are a parent that has a child who loves video games, or a child who spends every waking moment on face book, MySpace or anything on the computer, give them a paper and pencil. With imagination a Child’s life is limitless. They will have a bright future by writing our drawing beautiful master pieces. That is why I believe that imagination is a key ingredient for a fun, success, and friendship in a child’s, and a parent’s life for years to come.