People who made me

tiara - holladay, Utah

NPR This I Believe

I can’t place my growth or beliefs on one event or one strong pair of shoulders. I was sculpted by so many different hands. People have left so many finger prints all over me. Words they have said have seared me and healed those deep cracks in my surface. Even the simple people you meet everyday. Some of my favorite people I have ever met are my bus drivers, one for his endless jokes and smiles another for his sweet serenading voice. The color every one introduces into your life is amazing. Each person holds their own charms and flaws that honestly impact you much more then you would suspect. I look at the faces of some on my closest held friends and think of the journeys we have been on. Some times they are the last person you want to see, and other times you cry just for the chance to talk to them.

I want to say I am independent, that I understand completely who I am. I, however, can not say I am anything what I thought I would be like when I was younger. I had such strong ideals about how prepared I would be for life, how I would walk through it with grace. Instead I stumble and fall weighing heavily on those around me who somehow find that extra strength inside them to pick me up and push me forward. In return I try my hardest to pick up other fallen strangers and friends. Sometimes this is a job that takes years and many tear filled nights, other times a simple conversation one time next to them on a park bench will be all you have with that unique person. Any way it pans out you have affected them and just as surely they have affected you.

I think all close relationships and love, filial, Eros or agape affect you. Love is not just a strong feeling for someone but a bond that somehow transposes some of that persons ideas on to you. It goes both ways that you can also have a resounding affect on that person but somehow there is a change in that person no matter how small. That is love. Love is that relationship with that person, that even if things get strained with them they have forever changed you and you can not forget those lessons or shed that layer of you they helped create. I am a product made by the wonderful people who have come in and out of my life. I believe in people, I believe in their power, in the natural sweet and strong reassesses of their heart.