More Family Time

Rachel - nashville, Tennessee
Themes: family, gratitude

More Family Time

I know most teenagers now days think spending time with family is complete torture! I know I have felt that way many times myself. When I was younger I would much rather be at the mall shopping with a friend than hanging out with my boring family! They would always want to do something, and it seemed to me like they always planned an outing, when I had already made plans. For example, my mom used to plan activities at least once a week! I used to complain every time my mom asked me to do something with them. I tried everything possible to get out of it. I tried being sick, too much homework, dance class, babysitting job, and I even tried the “I am on my period” excuse. None of them seemed to ever fool my parents. One time I had this big sleepover I wanted to go to and you know what my mom said?”

“Well, I am sorry, honey, but family time is more important. I promise it will be fun. There will be plenty of chances for you to hang out with your friends later.”

I always ended up going, no matter how much I stomped my feet, slammed the door, wined, or even shouted. Normally the whole time I was the biggest pain in the butt as possible. In hopes that next time they would not make me go. They would always plan really neat activities like: going to the movies or go camping and sometimes we would even play board games. I would complain the whole time. My mom, dad, and my brother seemed to be having a great time together, but I was missing out on all that because I was determined not have a good time. When finally I got all over that and I started enjoying myself more and before I knew it I did not have a problem spending time with them. For a fact I know a lot of my friends who take spending time with their family for granted.

I know I have often taken for granted the time spent with my family, until the day my brother passed away suddenly. Then I realized just how important family time really was. I now wish I could spend time with him, but I cannot. Ever since that day I have never complained about family time again, because I realized just how precious it is. I have been around a lot of my friends who constantly complain about their siblings or parents and I do not think they realize how lucky they are to still have them in their life. I know I wish each and everyday I could have more time with him. However, I cannot and that is something I deal with everyday and thanks to God’s grace I have been able to heal tremendously, but that does not mean I will ever forget him and because of this I have helped my friends realize that family time is not so bad. Because before you know it they could be gone. After my brother had passed we all decided to go away to a cabin for the weekend to just get away from things. However, we had a hard time enjoying ourselves at first, because it just did not feel the same without him there. We finally decided to do something that he loved. We all went rock climbing in his memory. It turned out to be a great exercise to bring us back together again, as the new family we are now.

Now that I am in college and away from home, I really miss the family time that we had. I am so busy now with work or school it is hard to find time to do things as a family. However, I know how important it is and I try to make family time twice a month, even if is just going out to eat. I also made sure to called them a lot and let them know what was going on and how I was doing. I think it is very important to keep in touch with your parents while you are away in college. I know I am very lucky to have parents who care so much about me and who actually care about spending time with me. Because I know some people do not even have parents, or if they do they are not very involved in there lives. That is why it is important to remember that they will not be around forever. We all need to cherish the time we have with them. This is very close to my heart and I truly believe in it.