My Life With Music

Jami - Seminole, Oklahoma

I believe in music. It connects with me, no matter what the circumstances. Music is enduring. Each decade has brought its own type of tunes, each one a representation of the songwriter’s opinion that is permanently etched in vinyl to pass on to the next generations. I have songs on my iPod that date back to the thirties because of their brilliance and relativity. Each song endures the test of time, weaving the views of history into the fabric of present day listeners.

For each mood that I am in, there is a song that speaks to it. If I am depressed, all I have to do is go through my playlists and find a song that I can relate to, and when it comes to music there is always that one song by “Coldplay” or another rock group that has practically taken my feelings and recorded them into a soundtrack. When I am in a good mood, “The Jackson Five” are always on hand, willing to give me a song that will stick in my mind and stay there until the end of the school day. No matter what the daily situation might be, if I have music to accompany it, the world is always a better place to be.

Music has influenced not only my daily life but my opinions as well. “The Rolling Stones” bear their own purposes of storytelling in mind, but they shape my personality and overall character through their songs about “singing for a rock and roll band” and “fighting in the streets”. Music continues to mold me inside, as well as outside. I dress the way that I do because I believe in these musical groups, living in their shadows and developing around their voices. My opinions of war, peace, poverty, wealth, what is right, and what is wrong have all been built by listening to these bands and hearing their thoughts on CDs and records.

No matter how I evolve, there are always songs that fit my moods and styles. Music will always be a vital presence in my life.