Everything Happens for a Reason

Catie - Sterling, Virginia
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I think things happen for a reason. I think about things like this while I’m lying under my pink sheets in my dorm room, staring at the ceiling, and reflecting about everything that has happened since I’ve become a college student. Some events that took place in my life felt like the best things that had ever happened to me, but then they disappeared. For example, I had a perfect relationship in high school but that got poured down the drain after I moved away to college. I felt like my heart and soul were just melting away, being torn into pieces. I felt lost in the dark with nothing left of me. At those times when it felt like the worst possible things had happened, I would think “why does this only happen to me?” But in reality it does happens. I couldn’t just waste my college experience being depressed and thinking how different things could have been if I didn’t choose to go to a school so far away. After a month of being lost in the dark, I realized there is more to life. Just because one thing doesn’t work out how I would have liked it to, doesn’t mean my life is over. I started to go out and meet people. Hanging out with my new friend’s everyday made me realize that I don’t always need the person I love to be by my side. I got the chance to go out with who ever I wanted to without having someone questioning every move I make. I became involved in the school and made the cheerleading team. I started to love everything that was happening. I was doing great in school, had the perfect friends, and was never left bored. Sitting back and looking at everything made me realized that the relationship ended for a reason. Opened more doors in my life and lead me in different paths I wouldn’t have tried if I were still together with the guy I loved. I’ve learned that when something bad happens, don’t get upset and put myself down. When bad things happen, you should look back and appreciate everything that was positive about the experience and be thankful for the good things that come after it. Everything happens for a reason.