Chantil - Seminole, Oklahoma
Themes: injustice

I believe garlands should be banned from the United States. As a child I hated that spiky green stuff that smelled funny and collected dust until December when the Christmas décor came out of the plastic boxes and I was forced to help my mom with the holiday preparations. My sister, being the youngest, got the best, most important job so she could feel like a “big girl.” Maybe I was a little jealous, but it just did not seem fair that she got to decorate the beautiful tree while I sat alone “fluffing” garland with a scowl on my face.

The garland and I just could not get along. The dust from ten years prior caused a continuous fit of sneezes that put a stopper in my nostrils and made my mood worsen. Just the feel of it drove me insane. I hated the sharp bristles of that fake tree-like substance that stabbed my fingers so many times one would think my hands got attacked by an overzealous squirrel. I could understand if it was really pretty and necessary for the holiday scene, but that is not the case. Garland is ugly and a house can most definitely possess holiday cheer without it.

Luckily, when I got older the garland was no longer my responsibility, but a week ago I went with my boyfriend and his friend to help them decorate his huge house for the winter holiday to make extra cash for Christmas gifts. No big deal, right? Wrong! Apparently I am “too clumsy” to get on the roof and help with the lights, so I got to stand on the ground, looking up at the boys having fun, while fluffing one hundred feet of prickly garland. Ironic isn’t it? No matter how hard I try I just cannot escape this trend that sucks the joy out of my Christmas holiday.

I know I cannot be the only one that this treacherous decoration has haunted, so I believe a bill should be passed to make it illegal in the U.S. Garland should be banned for all of the children who have been forced and tricked into taking on the miserable task of garland fluffing. Christmas is not about the decorations, nor is it about the gifts you get. The cliché idea of the holiday is fun and entertaining but children should not be taught how to fluff garland or how to assemble a moving light up reindeer, but that Christmas is about being generous to everyone and spreading love.