Best Friends Do Not Let Best Friends Have Split Ends

Casady - Seminole, Oklahoma

I believe in not having split ends. My sophomore year in high school my two best friends’ mothers were hairdressers. In case you were wondering, hairdresser’s daughters do not have split ends; however, my mother was a teacher. One day I remember riding the bus and my best friends Cassie and Kristin, all bright eyed as if sharing an epiphany, suddenly yank my hair saying, “Casady! You have split ends; best friends do not let best friends have split ends’. I begged to differ; what kind of friends would snatch my hair and then criticize it? Later on that day though something inside of me realized and told myself that I would never let split (wavering between choices) ends (decisions) control my life.

Although my mother was not a hairdresser, she opens my eyes to a whole new world of split ends. When faced in making an important decision, my mother is the first person I run too, hoping she will just tell me what to do and then magically all my problems will be solved. My mother rather than telling me what I want to hear, always tells me her point of view. On most occasions I can be found firing back at my mom for saying a truth I did not want to hear. In the end though it was only my fault…I asked her to make the decision for me… instead of wrestling with the problem myself.

I have lived a life of hating to choose, whether it is among what I know to be right and wrong, a purple or pink streak in my hair, or just plain yes and no. I would rather not be the one blonde hair sticking up in the back amidst the dark as night jet black hair. My mom made me see being split does not get you very far in life. Having a head full of split ends causes me to stop and waste time over silly petty things rather than taking chances and making decisions for myself. My mom showed me how being split in a decision in life causes us to miss out on the golden opportunities that fly past us making our hair become tangled from the gust of lost possibilities. I believe that having split ends only allow us to commit ourselves just halfway; life is not about debating and being split, it is about believing and trusting our own personal judgment.