Living With No Regrets

Sarah - Stansbury Park, Utah

There is no excuse for not pursuing your dreams. When people say something’s not practical, or is too risky, or that they simply don’t have time for it, the only thing holding them back from doing it is themselves.

Life is too short to live with regrets. I have learned to try everything I’m interested in at least once so that I will never look back and wonder what would’ve happened if I’d done it. People don’t realize their full potential unless they try to. Everything that I’ve hoped to accomplish in life is somewhat crazy in the eyes of other people, but some things are already happening. My dream of being an artist is coming to be because I have pursued it for many years and got accepted into the art program in college. If I had pursued something considered by some to be more practical, I would be miserable. Doing what I love is more important than doing something that makes money.

In high school, I did so many extracurricular activities that I hardly had time for homework, but I loved being involved in so many things. I ran for homecoming queen, and even though I didn’t win, I was still glad I had the courage to do it. In college I took an ice hockey class because I wanted to learn. Even though I’m not very good at the sport, I’m still happy that I have the experience. I have no regrets because I did everything I wanted to. There are still things that I want to accomplish in life that I’m working toward. Acting, for instance. I have had this secret desire to be an actress that I’ve been suppressing for years, and I’m finally ready to let it out. I’m going to audition for local plays, and then, who knows? Maybe I’ll show up on the silver screen someday. The worst that can happen is that I’ll get turned down. At least I will have tried!

There is always time to pursue dreams. Write them down. When written down, a dream becomes a goal, and goals, for some reason, are considered to be more attainable than dreams. In reality, they are the same. The only difference is that dreams aren’t generally pursued. I believe they should be. If you think you don’t have time to try something new, make time. It’s possible. If I can do it, anyone can.