I Believe in Reading

Jordyn - Portland, Oregon

I believe that reading gives you an active imagination, or as my mom likes to say an “overactive” imagination. Once you can find a book that you love, reading, all books, becomes more fun. As you read your mind takes in fantastic new vocabulary, sentence structure and a tale that may end up inspiring you later in your writing career. The language arts teacher I have now is incredible about giving us new types of things to read. He is always ready to let us sink into a good book and encourages it. Also, he has an amazing vocabulary that has most likely come from reading throughout his life. His terminology makes people want to listen to what he has to say.

I’m fourteen years old. I love to read. That is what I would describe myself as, a fourteen year old bookworm. This summer my cousin, Britney, came down to visit me from Texas. It had been about ten years since we had seen her and the rest of her family and the amount of time I spent reading had increased dramatically since she had been up to Oregon. If I were to describe the way I spoke around her I would say that I was being casual. Letting myself speak freely and relaxed as I would around my friends, rather than thinking about what I would say beforehand.

I believe that Britney had been staying with us for about three days. We were conversing about nothing of significance. I was sitting on the couch across from her. She was sitting on the ground cross-legged. Then, in the middle of our conversation she said, “You know what drives me insane?”

“What?” I asked.

“That you are thirteen and I am twenty-two.”

“Ummm…” I wondered. “I’m sorry?”

“No, not that. The fact that I am going to start teaching this year and that you use words I have never seen or heard of in my life.”

That is when I started listening to what I said to people. I started seeing the way that sentences in books started leaking their way into my speech. Even yesterday I found myself quoting the book series “Twilight.” I was talking about the weather with a friend and somehow humidity was mentioned. That was when I stated, “I’d rather drink water than inhale it.” That is straight from “Twilight” and when you use a statement like that it makes conversation so much more interesting.

I also believe that reading keeps you healthy. Do you want to get Alzheimer’s when you are older? I know I don’t and I believe that reading can assist your brain in staying healthy and alert. It is now proven that vitamin B doesn’t stop Alzheimer’s. I believe that to keep your brain healthy you need to exercise it. Reading will work your brain. Along with that, do you want to go through life without excitement? If you feel like your life is boring a good book can add that climactic feel you crave in life.

That is why I believe in reading.