All Unfairness is Created Equal

Jeff - Spring City, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

The phrase, “It isn’t fair!” might possibly be one of the most frequently used sayings in all of America, if not the world. From the oppressed slave in a third world country to the businessman who did not get the raise he wanted, just about everyone, including myself, feels they did not get their fair share in life at one point or another. However, I believe that every person’s life, despite their origin or status, is a struggle, and the unfair events that happen to us all level the playing field, making life a strange, fair thing.

Understandably, the oppressed slave in a third world country has a much tougher life than the businessman counterpart. Although that slave may have the more arduous life, all of us have equal struggles in some way. The internal battle for a lifelong smoker to quit may be as powerful as the physical struggle for an oppressed slave to break free of his captivity and live a life of freedom. We all have struggles that, in our own personal lives, seem impossible to overcome.

As I started college, barely making ends meet, I looked around at other college students who had their entire tuition paid and could enjoy the luxuries of a new, state-of-the-art laptop, as well as the free time available when not having to work twenty hour weeks after and before school. I had worked hard throughout all of my high school years and graduated nearly top of my class. Throughout those high school years I had been taught that if I truly worked hard I would be rewarded. Yet, as I entered college, debt and little free time seemed like an unfair reward. However, as the college days wore on it became apparent others had struggles as well. Although many of my peers did not have to work long hours or struggle to fulfill financial needs, many suffered from procrastination or lack of motivation. It wasn’t that they did not want to succeed, but their habits throughout their life had created a lifestyle that was hard to keep up with the persistent college demands. In my mind, the struggles I was facing throughout college were unfair. However, all of my peers were facing their own struggles, whether they deserved them or not.

These seemingly unfair battles face all of us, no matter where we come from physically and financially. It is hard to compare a wealthy businessman to an oppressed slave in a third world country, and rightly so, as the slave has a much harder life. However, I believe that, despite how tough one’s life is, that we all have conflicts of some sort. Regardless of age, gender, race, or status, everyone has to face the unique struggles in their lives and overcome them. It may seem unfair what is happening at the time, but everyone else is facing or has faced unfair events as well.