A Little Love goes a Long Way

Allison - McAlisterville, Pennsylvania

A Little Love goes a Long Way

Is it possible to find peace in this world which is filled with turmoil and despair? What can be done in order to change this world for the better? Many people tend to think that it will take a massive movement to improve society, but I think otherwise. I believe that small acts of kindness are the key to creating a peaceful, more pleasant world.

When I was thirteen years old, I traveled to New York City with my family, and during my visit, I witnessed something that I will never forget. While walking down the busy, crowded sidewalk, I remember seeing a homeless woman sitting on the street corner. As she sat there in her old, ragged clothes, I could see in her eyes a longing for acceptance. She looked famished and exhausted as she held her tin can out in hope for some spare change. While stopped at an intersection, I noticed a young woman with an apron tied around her waist walk out of a little café holding a steaming bowl of soup in one hand and a hot cup of coffee in the other. She had a big smile on her face as she made her way toward the homeless woman sitting on the corner. Before the girl from the café even had a chance to set the soup and coffee down, the homeless woman jumped up and threw her arms around the girl. Immediately she began rummaging through her shopping cart that was filled with odds and ends, looking for something to pay the girl with. The girl, however, would not accept anything the homeless woman offered, and she insisted it was her pleasure. I was amazed at how much the homeless woman had appreciated that small act of kindness. She was so grateful for that bowl of soup and cup of coffee.

This incident that I witnessed in New York City made me realize how much of a difference a small act of love can make. The girl from the café took the food to the homeless woman because she cared, and that simple act of kindness brightened the woman’s day and warmed her heart. Actions just like this have brought peace to the minds and souls of those affected by this kindness. It is amazing to see the effect a little compassion can have. Just imagine what the world would be like if everyone performed at least one simple act of kindness each day.