Always believe in yourself

Tejasvi - Bettendorf, Iowa

One day I decided I wanted to participate in Ugadi, an Indian festival. My best friend and I were planning on singing two Indian songs together. She had a hard time with one of the songs so my mom decided I was going to sing one of the songs alone. My first thought was “I can’t do it”, but of course my mom convinced me to. Although she had convinced me to sing alone, somewhere in the back of my mind I still thought I couldn’t do it. The day Ugadi came, I was making a list of ideas to get out of singing. My mom wouldn’t listen.She said I could do it. My friend and I were singing the first song together. When it was over she wished me good luck and got off the stage. The negative side of me immediately started saying to me, “You will sound bad,” “You will faint,” and other stuff like that. For a moment I almost believed it, then I looked out into the crowd and I saw 200 people looking at me. I almost fainted, then I saw my mom’s reassuring face and I started to sing.

It wasn’t really that bad after all. I didn’t faint, I didn’t sound bad either. The lesson I learned here is always believe in yourself. I’m so glad I participated in Ugadi, if I didn’t I would have never been able to participated in Diwali next year! I wouldn’t have known that I was capable of more than I believed I could do.