Living to Believe

Blake - Norfolk, Virginia

My Belief

I believe that greed is found in every person. For some it may be blatant greed, while for others it may be discreet. In today’s world it is impossible to be content. We over look the small things to get to the big things, that in all actually mean nothing to us.

Being part of the fad is something everyone is part of. Every time a new cell phone comes out onto the market it is a rush to see who can get it first, same thing happens every time Apple releases a new product. I admit I am guilty. Just today I was looking at cars; I wasn’t looking into anything particular. I saw a Mercedes sitting I asked my father if he would buy it for me. I got the expected answer of, no! I was already prepared for this answer so I was not angry at all. I just went on about my day, feeling nothing about what happened earlier, until later when I felt really bad. I currently own a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer that was given to me by my grandfather. Thinking about how lucky I was to get a car that is in perfect condition, for free and not being happy about it saddened me. It makes me angry when people, including myself, are never happy with what they have. Of course people want better for themselves, but it becomes fuzzy when people want more than they need.

My belief makes me think of my grandmother that has recently passed. She lived a complete opposite lifestyle of the people previously described. She lived with no worries. The things that made her happy in life were things you could not buy or were really cheap. She owned a manual car with a radio, nothing extra. She lived in a tiny house that consisted of a kitchen, two bedrooms, and one bath. I asked her constantly, “Why don’t you get nicer things for yourself?” She would always tell me, “Blake, ain’t I breathing? That’s all I need! Plus as long as I got a full mug of coffee there is not much more I need in life beside my family.” I used to think she was crazy, but not until today I was able to completely understand where she was coming from. There was nothing more in life as satisfying, to her, than family and cup of coffee.

As we look at the trouble that we are in today as a country, and the move to an almost inevitable recession, it is the direct result of greed. Everyday companies are failing. However as their companies continue to fail, the big wigs and CEO’s continue to receive their million dollar salaries and bonuses. The world is reaching a continuing economic slump as peoples greed continues to grow.

Honestly I had no idea what to write about and the belief I was going to write about really was not something I truly believed in. However I did learn something today, sometimes beliefs are not completely known until after living and learning new things in life. And now I wonder how much different the world would be if a cup of coffee satisfied everyone.