Reading

Brittany - Church Point, Louisiana

How many people would love to explore the ancient places of the world and its many secrets? Who would not want butterflies in their stomach and their heart racing with the great sensation of love? Why wouldn’t anybody want to be a part of a mystery that made the headline news? I believe that all of these dreams could be completed through reading. Reading allows the mind to expand and exercise its imagination. It teaches the mind to think while broadening one’s horizons. Although it is possible to overwhelm the mind with negative or critical ideas, I believe reading truly nurtures a well-rounded intellect.

I believe that reading is the best way to enforce imagination. Imagination can activate the mind and brighten the heart. It allows one to recreate a story’s setting based on the imagery and imagine the outcome. When I read “The Outsiders,” I saw everything through Ponyboy’s eyes. I could feel the heat of the fire and hear the crackling of wood around me while going save the children. Unlike movies that supply the scenes, reading allows the mind to create these images on its own. Reading can not only exercise the mind, but can open up the soul. I believe something as meaningful as poetry can evoke emotion and introduce a new outlook on life. Reading exposes the heart to a brand new world and encourages people to try new things. Even though reading can alter someone’s opinion, I do not believe it can control one’s thoughts.

In addition to exercising the imagination, reading can also expand the mind’s horizons by informing the reader of a variety of subjects and settings. Books about culture and society can open eyes to the outside world. While sitting in a simple chair in my living room, I can envision myself standing on top of the Eiffel Tower, with the wind whipping my hair around my face. History books can inform people of past leaders and significant events. Reading has allowed me to set goals and have heroes. I believe we can better our society and our lives through this knowledge. It gives people the opportunity to prevent past mistakes and better judge the present. Unfortunately, reading can expose the mind to various evils such as war, violence, and weapons. This knowledge is only as bad as the person that uses it. I believe that children who read, or are read to, are more probable to receive higher marks in school. People expose their mind to various learning techniques through reading, even if they are unaware of the development.

I believe that reading can sustain the mind and have a positive influence. The mind learns to apply imagination and think on its own. It can also expand the reader’s mind to many different themes and places all around the world. Even though the words people read have different meanings, it is up to each person to decide how to use the knowledge. I believe reading can enlighten the soul and create a new world for the reader.