I believe in the BSA

Nicholas - Seminole, Oklahoma

I Believe in the BSA

Sleeping Bags, thrown together tents, fold-out chairs, boys running and yelling around here and there, all round a crackling fire that is much bigger then needed. I believe the Boy Scouts of America still guide boys and young men to becoming the best, most responsible men that they can be.

The Boy Scouts teach young men responsibility by giving the boys jobs to do within the troop and duties on campouts that range from getting the firewood and starting the fire, to kitchen patrol with cleaning up the mess left after meals. Not only do the duties of a campsite help nourish the growth of responsibility but the curriculum of advancement also has the young men perform service projects and to serve others whenever possible. The most recognized project in Scouting is the Eagle Scout project which is the final project a scout performs to achieve the highest rank. The key factor of this project is that the young man is in charge of the planning, getting supplies, and organizing the project and fellow helpers to get it done. For my project I had to meet with one or two city officials explain my project and get their signature of approval for the project. I also had to speak with a local Eagle Scout chairman and show him that the project has been approved by the proper authorities and get his approval to commence the service project. Then for the actual project I, with the aide of my parents and the troop leaders, led the volunteers through the project and oversaw the whole project to see it was done right.

Now the Eagle Scout project is just the last in a long line of projects and duties a young man has fulfilled in a few years. The Eagle Scout project is like the semester test and all the other duties were the homework assignments that prepared the scout for it. The merit badges are similar to the duties in that they teach responsibility either through record keeping, or the responsibility of keeping the body healthy, or learning one’s duty to their country.

Some of the best times in my teenage life have been with my friends and leaders in Boy Scout troop 414. Whether that was sharing a tent with my best friend where we talk about anything late into the night or scrambling over hillsides and trampling through forest trails I’ve learned many of life’s lessons and being a better person with my troop.