Doing it for me

Melinda - Ocala, Florida

Accomplish things for yourself and not for others. I believe that this is the key to becoming successful at anything you want to accomplish. When I first started attending college it was more for my parent’s sake and not for mine. My parents wanted me to go more than anything, they wanted me to be able to get a good paying job, and have the opportunity to be able to have something to fall back on. So when I entered Central Florida Community College spring semester and majored in psychology, it was something my parents wanted me to study. The classes I took were long and I could not seem to be able to interest myself in these courses, I just did the work because I had to. I did not make it through that first semester, I ended up becoming ill and being very glad I didn’t go back. After, I went back to working and all I ended up doing is working dead end jobs that had no opportunity for advancement. Through out that whole year I finally realized two things: if I truly wanted to be successful I needed a higher education and I also realized that in order to further my education and achieve my goals I would have to study something that truly interested me. I had to be willing to stick it through to the end, and by studying something of interest it would help me to focus. I began attending CFCC once again this fall and this time I am studying Medical Administration, something I am interested in and am willing to stick with. This time I’m doing this for me and no one else; this is how I know I will be successful.