What is Prestigious?

Alisha - provo, Utah

I came to college thinking I was going to be a microbiologist. I mean I loved science and found it fascinating but I think I was more leaning towards that field because it would be prestigious. My freshman year I took a position in my dubbed college to be a research assistant. With that I found myself alone in a lab fulfilling experiments with only samples and petri dishes to keep me company—I never was so bored in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I didn’t enjoy being cooped up in a lab with a bunch of socially awkward scientist, but I am a people’s person. I love talking socializing, networking and the main reason I was doing microbiology was because I was thinking about going to med school. And if I didn’t end up going to med school what was I going to do with this degree?

For about a period of 6 months, I struggled deciding if I wanting to go into art. My friend Sharley was way into Photography in high school and at the end of my 4 years there, I too gained a love of the medium. But I was always plagued with this notion that I wouldn’t get respect if I were to become an artist. While in the process of discovering my dream in life, I was greatly discouraged by something an old family friend said. She was on of my best friend’s mother and was a person I greatly respected. When I went home for a break, I was talking to her about my dilemma and when I mentioned my idea of going into photography she told me “that [I] was too smart to settle for photography.” I felt as though I had just been slapped in the face.

In the end, against some scorn for choosing this career, I was one of the 18 accepted into a program out of 120 people. The greatest thing that has come from my decision is that I am happy; I love what I am doing. However I wonder how many times people second-guess their instincts because they are afraid of what other people think. I think when it comes to decision-making we must only consult ourselves.