Standing Up For What I Believe

Kaylee - provo, Utah
Themes: family, morality

I have always had differing opinions from those of my friends. Though many friends are Dodgers and Yankees fans, I like the Angels, and the Red Sox is my team. The majority of my friends from Elementary through High School are Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Protestant, Methodist, etc. I am a member of the LDS church. Most of my classmates were Democrats and Liberals; I, though I do not align myself with any party, am fairly Conservative. Even with all these differences, I have never had to stand up for what I believe in as alone among my friends as I did when it came to where I stood with Prop 8. Many of my friends were supportive of the Anti-Proposition 8 campaign. It took a lot of courage for me to join groups on Facebook, and to get my voice out there standing up for what I believe in and letting people know why I believe what I do. I was afraid that I would lose friends over it; politics is a touchy subject, right up there with baseball and religion =) . Prop 8 states that marriage is to be between one man and one woman. It is my belief that marriage is a sacred ordinance; it is God’s design for his children to be married (one man to one woman) and in that sacred union, create a family together. It is my belief that it is not simply a right, but a gift from God; He gives us the opportunity to join in something so sacred. The Lord has said that marriage is to be between a Man and a Woman, and who am I to challenge the authority of God. He is the Supreme Being, my Creator. I try to live in accordance to God’s will for his children. Please do not misunderstand me, I fully believe in the support of the government and in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law of the land in which I live. But I believe that marriage between a man and a woman IS ordained of God and is a privilege I am eager to one day attain. Standing up for my beliefs may cause strain or tension or even loss of friendships but if I cannot stand up for it, then I cannot claim to believe it. In an expression of my freedom of speech, I say that marriage is in fact a sacred ordinance that should only be between one man and one woman. This I fully believe.