Who Needs Elevators Anyway?

Brandon - san bernardino, California
Themes: change, courage

Elevators are a great way to get you where you are going in a hurry. Why take the stairs? They aren’t necessary. Well that’s how I feel about elevators. Ever since I was a little boy I have had a dislike for elevators. I mean, I have never been stuck in one or am I claustrophobic, but it’s something about them that rattles me. So anytime I can, I try to avoid them. Not only when I am out, but also when it comes to making life choices. I have come to use this as my slogan in life. The slogan is, ‘Elevators are not needed’ and this I have come to believe in very strongly.

When it comes to life, in most every situation you are faced with, you can either take the stairs or the elevator. The stairs represent honest hard work. The elevator represents taking the easy way, taking shortcuts. This means you miss out on things that can really affect your life experiences and lessons. Elevators sometimes can make you forget that a little hard work pays off. A good example, for me personally, would be my grandmother. In her younger days, she worked for several good companies for many years and then each one of them closed down, leaving her unemployed.

Then she realized that she did not want to work for anyone else again. She chose the path of the stairs. From her first step she began to start her long climb to where she is at now. She is financially well off and able to help others. Something else I value and admire is that she is content and appreciative of her life’s journey. She can reflect back on how far she has come and how much she has accomplished in her effort to provide financial security for our family. About 25 years ago my grandmother opened her own business. She has worked hard and still works today, even though she has reached the age of retirement. I think that is a self test that determines your passion for what you do. She has told me that she does it because she knew it was best for the entire family even the family members looking for that free elevator ride. Through that, she has shown me that my belief is evidence that hard work and motivation equal passion which is all achieved through good work ethics and taking the stairs.

Surely there were shortcuts for her to take to get to where she is now, but then she never would have known what it is to only have your needs and not be able to have your wants. Now when someone comes to her she can relate to them and give them her story for encouragement. My grandmother believes in strong work ethics, because it will amount to everything in the end, even though it looks like small beginnings. This is why I believe that good work ethics are so important and elevators are not needed in life.