Every Bump in the Road is for a Reason

Carolyn - Provo, Utah

I believe every bump in the road of life is for a reason. Sometimes it is hard to understand why when in the middle of hard times. Looking back, I can see how I grow and learn from each challenge I face.

This belief came to me strongest just after I graduated from high school. I sent my applications to several universities hoping to go anywhere and finally be out on my own. Things didn’t go as planned however, when rejection letters appeared in my mailbox from every school I applied to. I didn’t understand why this would be happening to me. I was an ‘A’ and ‘B’ student all through high school and participated in clubs and other activities. I cried for a long time about it.

Finally I decided I would attend my local community college and try again to get in a school the following year. I was taking my general electives and sending out applications to all the schools once again. Even though my grades in the community college were A’s and B’s all my applications were rejected a second time. Discouraged and disheartened, I decided to get my associate at the community college and try to get in a university one more time.

Two years later than I wanted, I was finally accepted to two of the schools I applied to. It turned out my two extra years at home was a blessing in disguise. During my time at the community college, I spent a lot of time with my family. I formed a bond with my younger sister as she became a teenager. I was also there to support my older brother as he went through a difficult time in his life. I’m happy to say all of my family members are now my best friends. I don’t think we would have the same kind of relationship if I left right after high school.

I am so thankful I had that bump in the road to get through. Even though it took me two years to find the reason, I would not trade the experience for all the gold in the world. Now, whenever tough times come my way, I keep moving forward with and watch for the blessings that come with the difficulties. I know they are sure to come.