Proud of the Family Name

Amanda - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: legacy

I believe that words hurt people more than actions. Verbal abuse can leave a permanent scar, and most people do not realize it. Actions can be held easier because the body can heal the scars away. It might take sometime to get rid of the verbal abuse scar over a physical scar.

I remember in 8th grade, some of my classmates would call me Milk because my last name is Ilk. They would call me Milk day after day, and I would keep telling them to stop. They ignored me and went on calling me Milk because they thought it was funny. Being called Milk would make me angry at them and I felt humiliated.

My last name being made fun of everyday had made me start to hate my last name. I was not proud of it and wished that I had more of a common last name like Johnson or Smith. With my last name being made fun of, I was not proud of my family heritage. Whenever anybody says my last name, I felt like my heart missed a beat, and hoped nobody will laugh and make fun of it.

Kids making fun of my last name has hurt more than when someone has hit me. I know when someone has hit me; it is either out of anger or a slap on the back as a greeting. I do not get mad at the person that hits me because I know they do not mean it.

As time has gone by, I have become more comfortable with my last name, and have started to build a sense of pride. I am proud to be part of the Ilk family! I also like that it is a unique name, and not a common name like Johnson or Smith. Since I have started to become proud of my name, I feel more comfortable with myself. I look back on my past, and see all of my achievements, and how proud I am of them. My achievements can help bring honor to the family name, and future generations can be proud of me.