Kristina - Medina, Tennessee

Don’t Let Your Fear Hold You Back

Most people do not go after their goals in life because they are afraid of failure. I believe that no one should let fear hold them back from accomplishing their goals in life because in the end they will regret it.

One of my goals in high school was to excel in girls basketball. I will never forget the time I subbed in for another player on my team and I went into the game. It was my very first game to play and I was only a freshman. One of my teammates passed me the ball to shoot, so I went up for the shot and got fouled. I went to the line to shoot two free throws and in my mind all I kept thinking was, “I’m fixing to miss these.” Well, I did miss them, but not only did I miss them, I completely air-balled them. I was so embarrassed. Then the other team had the ball and they were dribbling it down to the other end of the court. I came up behind the girl with the ball and tried to tip the ball out of her hand but instead I ran into the girl and knocked her down. The next thing I know, Coach is calling a time out to get me out of the game. When I came out of the game, I got a good chewing from my coach and then went to sit down at the end of the bench. I prayed that Coach would not put me back in because I was afraid I would embarrass myself again. So I let two stupid mistakes make myself think that I was not good enough to go back in that game. Well, my coach did put me back in the game and since I was so afraid of messing up again I went back in the game and played even worse than I did the first time. Now I think that if I would have not been so afraid of failure and had gone back in that game with my head held high, I might have played the best game in my entire high school basketball career.

Since that game I have had challenges in my life. One of them, in particular, was when I was moving away from home to go to college. I’m really close to my family, especially my mother, and I was afraid to move away out of my comfort zone. I knew it was going to be really hard at first, but I had made my mind up. I was going to do it and I am so glad I did. I have really grown up since then and I don’t have to rely on Mommy and Daddy anymore. I know that I will never regret my decision either.

Don’t let the fear of making a mistake keep you from excelling in life, and make you think of what you could have done. The truth is everyone is going to mess up a time or two but you can’t just lay down and not get up because of the fear of messing up again. You have to keep getting up and rolling with the punches. If you don’t get up you will regret it.