Keanu Reeves Saved My Brother’s Life

Crystal - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Keanu Reeves saved my brother’s life, but not in the way you are probably thinking. No, he did not jump on a bomb-filled bus zooming through Los Angeles like in the movie Speed. However, when my brother was hit by a car and then run over at the age of eleven all he could think of was that movie. This is why I believe that Keanu Reeves saved my brother’s life.

When my brother and I were young, we loved the movie Speed. Jake loved it for the dangerous predicaments that Jack (the lead character) always seemed to find himself in. I loved it because Keanu Reeves was so dreamy. How could a girl think otherwise? When Jake was eleven and I was fourteen, my brother was playing street hockey in front of our house when he was struck by a car. The driver stopped, Jake rolled off the front of the car, and she continued to drive. Stuck under the car and about to be crushed by its wheels, flashbacks from Speed popped in his mind as Jake held onto the axles for dear life. She drug him for eight feet.

The kids he had been playing with frantically beat on the car, begging the driver to stop. She finally did. Jake was rushed to the emergency room and put under anesthesia so the doctors could clean the gravel and debris from his scalp. The rest of his injuries were too graphic to describe. The only part of his body that was not wounded was his rear. My brother’s head was wrapped like a mummy and so swollen. It was heart-breaking to see him.

I remember the following day like it was yesterday. Time to remove the bandages. The only problem was that my mother had a difficult time doing so. This seems like it would be an easy task, but the bandages were stuck to his skin. I can picture myself sitting downstairs attempting to drown out the sounds of his screams with the TV. I was unsuccessful.

The following months were excruciating. My parents were unable to drive at speeds greater than forty-five miles per hour. They were unable to run the dishwasher while he was awake because it sounded like his head pressed against the tires. They were unable to watch movies like Forrest Gump without my brother bursting into tears. While viewing the scene where Forrest and his son visit Jenny’s gravesite, Jake tried to hold back the tears, but was unable to focus on anything but the fact that he almost died.

These instances occurred for months, but with the help of therapy sessions, they became fewer and farther between. The only good thing that came from this entire ordeal was that my family became closer than ever. My parents began to realize that our happiness was what was most important to them. My love and appreciation for my brother grew enormously. He still annoys me on a regular basis, but I will never forget that I almost lost him. For that, I must say thank you Speed and Keanu Reeves. You saved my brother’s life.