Easter Egg Battles

Connie - Toronto, Canada
Themes: family, legacy

When my family gets together to celebrate Easter, we act in a manner that some families might find strange. Most families simply sit down and enjoy conversation with one another over hors d’oeuvres and dinner. Easter decorations may be scattered around the entertainment area, adding to the spirit of the holiday. Some families even share in the painting of the eggs, a bonding activity they can enjoy. My family and I however, believe in cracking Easter eggs on each other’s heads. This idea might sound crazy at first, but the purpose goes beyond being silly and making a mess; it works extremely well at bringing the family closer. Beyond the typical conversation, cracking eggs on the heads of one another has lead to a tradition that will be carried on through generations. A sense of humor is a necessity in a family. Easter Egg cracking is a great way of loosening tension among the family.

I don’t know how or when this tradition started, but I have been brought into it just like the rest of my cousins. I have 11 cousins and four pairs of aunts and uncles on this side of the family, so a lot of egg attacks occur over the course of the night. My generation of the family enjoys it, and will certainly pass it on.

I can see clearly in my mind the joy on my grandma’s face one Easter. When everyone was sitting in the living room having random discussions, my grandma snuck up behind my cousin Chris. She was looking at the rest of us, silently giggling; we were trying to hide our grins. Before Chris knew it, “whack”. Yet another Easter egg was destroyed on a family members head. My Grandma was like a little kid having a good time, and it was nice to see her like this. The surprised, joyful look on her face the moment the egg hit his head is a memory of my Grandma that I will always remember. The look on her face expressed the importance of family to an individual’s happiness. Chris laughed, and wiped the remaining eggshell off of his head. Of course once this starts, it is an endless cycle of getting revenge on those who “egged” you. I already have a list in my head of whom I plan to get back at this coming Easter.

I have asked around to see if other families take part in this activity during Easter, and no one I have asked has ever heard of it. Egg cracking therefore gives my family a certain uniqueness and identity. The fact that it is so unique brings us closer, because it’s something that only we share and understand. Our relationships differ from other families, our memories differ from other families, and our traditions differ from other families.