Darek - Sacramento, California

Double Standard

One of the first beers brewed took place in a brewery in 1366 in Belgium, and friends have been sharing drinks with each other for centuries. Here in America the Drinking Age Act of 1984 was applied and the age was raised to 21, but this has not stopped kids from drinking, as 90 percent of high school kids have reported drinking at least once, and most regularly on weekends. If the government would lower the age to 18, and make people go to classes to learn about alcohol consumption, the world could be a safer place. With President elect Barrack Obama promising change, maybe this “right” to consume alcohol should be re-examined, because people are going to drink underage anyways, if it were embraced, and not made to look like a bad thing to drink underage, maybe kids would not do it so much. I have always agreed with the law being that you should have to be 21 to purchase alcohol or get into a bar, because I was never faced with a situation like this. A couple of weekends ago my friend Kyle came home for his last leave before he shipped off to Northern Iraq. Our friends came over, my brother and I ordered the Ultimate Fighting Championship PPV, we BBQ’ed, drank some beers and started reminiscing about the past, pick up football games, parties, girls and stuff like that. As the night went on the mood changed. At first it was all fun and games, high fiving, laughing, betting on the fights, but as the night wore on the mood got somber. We decided to walk up to the bar for some drinks and change the atmosphere. Keep in mind that Kyle is only 20 years old, but with his military I.D. he has been getting into bars everywhere. As we tried to enter the bar, we were carded. Kyle was not allowed to enter, and I guess the gentleman was correct in doing his job, but it was at this moment that I felt the country was a little bit hypocritical. We were not at the bar to abuse alcohol; we were at the bar to celebrate a friend who was willing to give his life for his country. It was also at this moment that I realized there was a double standard in society, and that maybe our rights need to be revised, why is it that a man can go fight and die for his country, but cannot go to the bar and have a beer with friends? In other countries like Germany, if you can see over the bar then you are allowed to drink. So what do I believe? I believe that if my friend Kyle is willing to give his life for his country, then he has a right to go to the bar and have a couple of drinks with my brother and me.