Jack

Jennifer - Katy, Texas

Project Linus is an organization that donates blankets to children who are in the hospital. The blanket serves to comfort the children through their rough time. I have had the pleasure of volunteering with them for many years, but I never realized how much every blanket meant until I met Jack.

Jack is a little boy who was in the hospital when I was delivering blankets with Project Linus. So far that day, I had been in a few rooms already and it was starting to get to me seeing all those tiny bodies hooked up to tubes just lying there looking so sad. I arrived at Jack’s door and knocked lightly while opening it slowly, so as not to disturb him. When the room finally came into picture the first thing I saw was Jack sitting there hooked up to an IV and with tubes in his nose. The bizarre part is he was up laughing and playing cards with his mom.

You always try to keep a smile on for the children no matter how sad the sight may be, but with him I did not have to try it just came naturally. He acted like all the tubes and everything were not there, so it made it simple for me to act that way too. When he noticed me standing in the doorway, he immediately greeted me and smiled showing his two missing front teeth. I told Jack and his mom that I brought him a blanket. I wheeled the cart in and he picked the blanket with the super hero pattern on it, and said thank you. As he admired the blanket, his mom put her hands on her heart and with a tear in her eye she mouthed “thank you” to me. I mouthed “your welcome” back, said goodbye to Jack, and walked out of the room. I paused for a moment outside and listened as he told his mom how “cool” the blanket was, then I walked to the next room smiling.

I believe in the power that a blanket has. It can bring strength and hope to parents watching their child in the hospital. It can bring happiness to the children facing the life threatening conditions. Most of all it takes their mind off the issues in their life even if just for a minute. This I believe.