The Power of Chance

Ebony - Beaumont, Texas
Themes: tolerance

The Power of Chance

People say first impressions are everything but sometimes, I wonder if they truly are. If we look at how someone acts on a first encounter with them, one may never understand the true person. In my opinion, people put on facades to show that they are something they really are not. This is why I believe that everyone should be given a chance to show the person within.

When I think about this, I start to remember how in high school I had a friend that always commented on how she did not like someone. She rarely had a friend without them starting off as her enemy. Most of the time, the conflicts started because she thought the person looked at her funny, or she assumed the person thought they were better than her because of the way they acted. She never gave people a chance to get to know her because she would always start some sort of confrontation with them.

There was one girl, in particular, that she did not care for and their battle had been going on since middle school. Because she did not like the girl the rest of our friends and I did not like her either but like always, I seemed to be put in a sticky situation. I ended up having to take a class with the girl, and through this class, I started to get to know her. I realized that the things my friend was telling me about her were basically over exaggerations to make her seem worse than she really was, and I started to like her. She was a nice and genuine person.

Because I started to like her, my friend got mad at me and said that I had betrayed her for becoming friends with someone she did not like. She told me she could not understand how I could be friends with someone who, to her, was such a bad person. I explained to her that this girl was nothing like the stories she had been telling us and that the only reason they were not friends was because on a wrong day one of them gave the other a nasty look, so from then on, they just did not like each other which to me was really stupid. I told her that people have bad days that result in them having bad attitudes all the time and we were included by having our own bad days. Because of our conversation, she understood that I would rather give people a chance to show who they are to me then listen to what others say or think about them, and I realized that I should always be willing to get to know someone before judging them.

I give people the benefit of the doubt before I completely write them off. I never know what they are going through just like they do not know what I am going through, so I just smile and hope that my presence helps their day go by a little easier. I believe in the power of chance.