What Friends Can Do

Kyle - Swansea, Illinois

Throughout my teenage years, I have gotten the chance to meet some interesting people. From class clowns who slack off in class to geeks who excel on every test, I think I have been around every type of personality. Without a doubt, the people closest to me have definitely molded my personality. Before high school, I had plenty of friends, but I did not know if they were true friends. Would I continue to be friends with them through high school, or better yet, would they be there for me during desperate times? Fortunately, I have a great group of friends who I can count on. But, I feel terribly for those who have no one to turn to in tough situations: I believe every person deserves a friend, no mater what the circumstances are.

During middle school and high school, I knew a person who was not the most popular person in school. Well, I do not think Mark really ever had any friends because he would walk across campus alone, he would eat his lunch alone, and the only people he talked to were teachers. The most ironic thing is that my high school consisted of 2,600 students, so pretty much every person had a big group of friends. Mark achieved high honors all through high school, but to be quite honest, I always felt bad for him since he didn’t have any friends to hang out with. I think everyone felt bad for him, but no one took the time to be his friend.

To me, the best benefit of having friends is when you are having a terrible day. A best friend came come up to you, say one joke, and instantly take the burden off your shoulders. Also, friends are perfect for problems you do not want to talk to parents about. I had many instances where friends knew answers to problems that my parents would not have known, and I don’t know what I would have done without the guidance from friends.

I can almost compare Mark to the homeless people around the nation on the mere fact that both have non-existent social lives. I can only imagine how Mark felt through those four excruciating years without friends. To me, the biggest part of high school was meeting so many people. Without meeting new people all the time, the past four years of my life would have seemed like an eternity. For all these reasons, this is why I believe every person deserves someone to call a friend, someone to talk to, and most of all, someone who will always be there.