Another Aspect of Life

Kyle - Windsor, California

Like most children, at a young age I had many dreams of what I wanted to be in my future. I remember dreaming of becoming an astronaut, race car driver, Power Ranger, even a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. I believe that people need dreams. My definition of a dream is a goal I wish to achieve in my lifetime that gives my life a purpose. I often think about my life and why it is important. I ask myself “Why am I here? What is my purpose? What makes life so worth living?” The answer? My dream.

Now that I am an adult, I have been thinking about where I want to take my life. After 19 years I have finally discovered the dream I want to achieve. I want to graduate from college and become a cop within the next 10 years. Then, to marry a beautiful woman, have three children, two boys and a girl, and grow old with my wife as I watch my kids, grandkids, and hopefully even great grandkids grow up. That is my dream. Will it happen? I have no idea, but I know that I will do everything in my power to make it happen. This is what drives me to succeed; this gives me a purpose to live.

Since I have never had a close father figure, my uncle has always been my biggest influence and it’s because of him that I have found my dream. My uncle lives my dream every day and seeing his happiness keeps me on my path to fulfill my dream.

It’s like any living thing, a human’s natural instinct to survive but to me if I don’t have my dream what is the point? Do I go on living day to day alone? To me, that doesn’t seem like a life worth living; to me it sounds like a lonely, empty life. I don’t necessarily need just one dream either, I actually have a few although some of the others are less likely to happen and if for some unfortunate reason I could not accomplish the dream I desire the most, I have a few others I may be able to fall back on that will continue to give me a purpose.

This may seem a modest dream to some, but to me it’s what I struggle through life for. My dream is what keeps me going every day; it’s what makes me go to work, or school. It makes me go out and meet new people, that maybe one of them might be the woman I spend my life with. The thought of one day having a wife, children, and a job as a police officer gives me a purpose to keep on going.