This I believe

Iván - Austin/TX/78705, Texas

This I believe

One wise person told me about two years ago that the one thing that all the major religions agree on is that transcending after life is one common goal that human beings seek. In order to be remembered, it is important to be kind, good to others, and to give everything that is in our hands to help those in need. Even though the deeds seem small, they can mean a lot for the other person and they will forever remember the deed. To make it simpler, treat others as you would like to be treated.

As I heard that speech it made me wonder about my existence in the world and it gave new significance to my life. A couple of weeks later, unfortunately, one of my best friends’ mother died. I realized that she had transcended in many ways: her family, me and my friends will forever remember her all because she had treated everybody as his own family and fought intensively for life. Then I realized that it is very important to transcend in life. When I die I want to know that I had made a difference in other people’s lives, and consequently that I will always be remembered.

After two years of my discovery with many happy and sad new experiences lived, I believe that the best way to transcend after life is by being an integral man. By this I mean being friendly, compassionate, honest, loyal, caring, humble, generous and having other virtues. If you try to put those virtues to work in your everyday life, I believe that anyone can make a difference in other people’s lives. For example, one time I was in a poor neighborhood in central Mexico. At night a random family, who had nothing except for a few farm animals, was kind enough to invite me into their home and to have dinner with them. That experience made a difference in my life. Now, every day I always try to be generous even with strangers.

The hard part is to understand why people do not live their lives being integral after being influenced by important people, like the Dalai Lama or the Pope, who have succeeded in life and made a mark on people’s hearts. In order to avoid forgetting this important fact I always try to reflect on my day at night. Before going to bed I think about my actions, either if they were selfish or if I acted as an integral person. I have found out that this really helps.

I believe in transcending. Transcending in people’s lives now and forever. To be remembered for my positive actions and as an integral person. This I believe.