Giving Life

Bryanna - Silverton, Oregon

About seven months ago, I was sitting in my math class at my high school, and a voice came on the intercom. It said that a citizen of Silverton had gotten into a horrible accident. They didn’t give all the grueling details, but they did say that he was working on a farm machine and somehow the machine tipped over and fell on top of him and crushed him. He was still alive, but just barely. He had lost so much blood that it would take a miracle to save his life. The voice finally ended the dreadful story by saying that anyone that could, should donate blood to help save his life. I have always wanted to be more helpful to the world and now I had the chance to save one man’s life.

I was a bit scared at first to give blood, because it would be my first time, but I knew that he needed my help, and that was all that I needed to overcome my fear. I walked into the church where the blood drive was being held and waited about 30 minutes, until one of the nurses took me into a room where they checked my blood to make sure i had enough iron, and my vital signs. Then, they had me answer a million questions about myself and where I had traveled in the world, just to make sure that my blood wasn’t contaminated. After that, the nurse gave me a bag that the blood was going to go into and had me sit on a chair where I had to drink eight ounces of water and wait. Five minutes later, the nurse came back and poked my arm with a huge needle. Probably about four minutes later the needle was out and I was almost ready to leave. After I was done, the nurse had me sit and drink water and eat cookies for 15 minutes before I could leave. Only one hour of my time to save this man’s life, was all I could think of the entire time I was in the church.

Later in the week, the voice from the intercom came back on and said that the doctors were able to save him, and if it wasn’t for us all being there to give blood he would not have lived to see another day.

I still have not met this so called “miracle man” and I doubt that I ever will, but i know that he is thankful for everything that we did for him and will never forget us no matter what. We not only helped save a man’s lilfe, but this man that we saved also changed my life. I am now, and forever will be a blood donor as long as I live. This is why I believe that everyone should donate blood at least once in his or her lifetime, because you never know when you are gonig to have to depend on another person’s will to give in order to save your life.