Creating Happiness

Charlie - helena, Montana

Creating Happiness

I believe in the saying what goes around comes around. Anytime I’ve ever done volunteer work or helped someone just because they needed the help, I have had something good come back my way. The way I think of volunteer work is that when you help someone they’ll take your kindness and want to do the same for someone else which creates a big chain of people helping one another. Throughout high school I volunteered at a nearby residency for the elderly called Big Sky Care Center, and every day that I was able to go there, it seemed to brighten up their day to have someone that wanted to spend time with them. Often times all it took was simply visiting with them to make them have a good day, although we often times played bingo or other board games that they could interact in.

Over the two years that I volunteered at the nursing home I met many individuals that all had come from different backgrounds and because of that there is a huge diversity of stories that I heard from them. I remember the first day I went to Big Sky; I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After wandering around the twists and turns of the confusing complex I somehow came across the cafeteria which the smell of the last supper still lingered in the air, where I noticed some residents were playing a little bingo. At first I felt a little out of place because all of the residents drew their attention to me. The director told me to find a resident without a partner, grab a board and play a couple rounds with them. I saw two people at a table that looked like they could use a little company so I chose to approach them. Near immediately after to talking to these individuals I came to find out that they were a married couple of sixty-five years and have been residents for three years due to the fact that the wife, Mary, had some complications with her breathing and needed twenty four hour a day care. It was amazing to see that after all the time they had spent together that they were still able to look at each other with that certain feeling for one another. Another individual I was able to let share his stories and give him the opportunity to reminisce of his glory days, was a man by the name of Frank. He played for the notorious New York Yankees when he was twenty four years old and many other years with other teams in the Major Leagues. It was pretty sweet to listen to him relive the days when he was a young baseball stud. But one thing that was common with all the residents is that they would often talk about when they were my age and to see their smiles was worth all the time that I spent there.