Sandi - Lanai City, Hawaii

I believe the clothes I choose to wear have the power to show my personality, feelings, and upbringing. When people gaze at me, the first thing that catches their eyes will be my clothing. They will be able to formulate and theorize their own opinion, on what kind of person I am.

I remember walking down the halls of school my freshmen year and noticing the exquisite brand names on clothing like Volcom, Billabong, Hollister, American Eagle, and Ambercrombie. Each individual brand had their own trademark design that was different and unique in its own way. At that moment I felt ecstatic; I had never witnessed anything like them before. Their bright beautiful colors caught my eyes like the sun’s dazzling rays. I was so anxious to seize similar styles of clothing. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would come across clothing so beautiful, as beautiful as blossoms blooming in spring.

I had an idea, since each clothing has its own unique way of catching people’s attention, I decided to make up a new style of my own. Trying very hard to achieve my goal, I watched television to familiarize myself with the kind of clothes that were the “in” style, asked my friends what looked good on me, and observed the clothing trends in school. In school I saw that there were cliques, and within these cliques the people would only wear certain kinds of clothes. I later learned that these cliques had names like “the sluts” because they liked to reveal a lot of their skin or “the druggies” because they wore red, yellow, green and Bob Marley.

I was angered and frustrated by the horrible names and knowing that I had a limit to what I could wear because I didn‘t want to be labeled anything that I didn‘t deserve. I never knew clothes could do such a hurtful thing, “give you a bad reputation.”

To accomplish my goal I acknowledged every style of clothes and took a little of each and incorporated it into my own. I would reveal a little here, and a little there of my body, but never too much to be labeled a “slut.” I wore clothes that showed my personality and feelings and in return I would get compliments from people about my clothes. I ended up being a pleased person in the end, because I was never given a name that I didn’t earn. Instead I created my own name I was called, “the stylish girl.”