I believe

Daniel - South San Francisco, California
Themes: purpose, work

I believe that people must do what they love. Whatever things I am into, I shouldn’t stop doing if someone is discouraging me. There have been countless stories about people who have been successful in life when no one believed in them.

Doing what I love makes me who I am. It is a part of my personality. I have had people tell me I would not be able to be good at something, and I would always feel like just giving up. When someone tells me that I’m not good at something or I won’t be able to accomplish something, I use that negativity to keep me motivated. Proving people wrong is one of the ways I push myself to not give up.

When people discourage me, I always want to just forget about it. I try not to think about it and move on. My sixth grade year I had a bad grade in science. The teacher told me there was no way I was going to get higher than a C. After she told me that, I was determined to prove her wrong.

Instead of listening to my teacher’s comments, I went straight to work. I worked hard in doing all my make-up work. I stayed up late at night studying for my upcoming tests and always stayed on top of paying attention and taking notes in class.

The last day of the quarter my teacher asked me to come back after-school to talk with her. I came after school that day and she told me she was impressed. After telling me that whatever I do I will not be able to get higher than a C, she told me that I raised my grade to an 89%.

I was very happy that all that hard work paid off. Science was my favorite subject, but I was just not good at it. I always did badly in the class unless I stayed focused. My teacher raised my grade to an A because of my perseverance and for working at hard to achieve my goal.

Another time when someone told me that I wouldn’t be good at something was during my sophomore year. I played for my local high school junior varsity football team. My friends from varsity had never seen me play before, but still doubted my skills on the field. They played with my older brother the year before and said I will never be able to meet his standards. They would make fun of me and tell me I was just a scrub. A scrub was used to call a person weak, or not very a good player.

My parents started discouraging me saying that playing football was not worth it. They thought I would be wasting my time going to practice and going to games. I showed them eventually that it was never a waste of time, but an investment. I invested my time in football. I worked hard to become an elite athlete.

The season opener came and I showed my parents, my friends, and my school that I was going to be a key player on our team. I never gave up, and I was getting better every single day. I stayed focused and determined and use everyone’s negative comments as fuel to excel in football.

At the end of the season I had led the team in receptions and also received awards. I was given Sophomore of the Year Award, 1st Team All-League for tight-end, and 2nd Team All-league for defensive end in the PAL Bay division.

With all these recognitions, people realized that I worked hard to get there. I couldn’t just show up to the games and be an all-star. I strived for perfection in practice because it was my goal to become good. Football was something I loved. I grew up around football. My cousins were getting full ride scholarships to Pac-10 schools just to play football.

In order to succeed in what I love, I feel like I just need to be focused and I am good to go. When I am not motivated, I am not focused. I use other people’s doubt to help motivate me. People that hate on me make me perform better at whatever I am doing.

I can also be one of those haters. Sometimes I doubt what I can accomplish. In high school I thought I would never be able to get into college. My academics were always bad during my freshman and sophomore year. My last two years of high school I pushed myself to not slack off. I stayed up late at nights to study for test in various classes. I also kept asking the teachers for help and sometimes got a tutor to help me in my school work. My senior year, I pushed myself and achieved getting straight A’s. Right now I am currently a freshman at La Sierra University.

I have achieved many things in my life. A lot of what I achieved was of my love for it. I believe that you can’t give up on what you love. My success in the things that I love doesn’t come easy. I work hard to try and become good at anything.

People these days are easily persuaded to just give up. They let their peers bring them down, and they end up losing what it is that they love. Staying with my love for something takes a lot of effort, but once I keep going, it is a guarantee that it will make me a stronger person.