Spontaneous Spontaneity

Annie - Franklin, Tennessee
Themes: carpe diem

Can you imagine a world where everyone did the exact same thing? Every day. What if every morning when you woke up the same bird was chirping outside your window, or the same song was playing on the radio? The weather was the exact same, every cloud in the sky, the brightness of the sun, literally everything was ambiguous to the day before. How boring would that be? I cannot even imagine how much my mind would reel if I lived in a world that never changed.

I believe life should be spontaneous. In every aspect.

My favorite kind of day is waking up and having absolutely nothing planned on my schedule. Those days where if someone asked you, “what’s up?” you could honestly answer, “nothing much” because it was true. I enjoy making spur of the moment decisions, and not living out of a planner that has penciled in every event planned for that day. I love making radical decisions…quickly. Decisions like dying my hair some drastic color that is opposite what it used to be, or getting another piercing spur of the moment. I love adventuring into the unknown of the day half-awaiting what is in store for me. It always kills me when people try and make plans way in advance and have to have every minute detail down to the core.

Whenever people would bother me for details such as, “what time, where are we meeting, who’s coming, what exactly are we doing all night (what about after that), what are you wearing, blah, blah, blah” it literally made me want to scream.

There are those type of people who always carry a planner with them, and when you open it it is full of color and scribbles. You know the ones who write in their planners, “have dinner” or “gossip girl 8 p.m,” literally every detail of their day is written and color coded. I personally am not one of those people. I’ve never been able to keep up with a planner for more than two days, and it always bothered me writing stuff in it so it was empty.

Possibly one of my favorite tricks to play on those people who have to plan everything is to make up some elaborate plan for the night and then completely change it spur of the moment. I remember this one time I played this trick on my friend Eliot, he’s one of those plan it out people. He called me three days in advance to plan out Friday night, way too overzealous. I knew why he was calling, to make plans. I had everything planned out for my fake plans Friday night. I gave him the specific time we would meet, 7:30 p.m., and the specific place, T.G.I. Friday’s. I also gave him the subsequent events following dinner. To enrich my joke even more, I gave him a specific time that we would be done and go home that night.

The plan was in motion.

Once Friday night came around I was psyched. At promptly 6:40, I knew he would be preparing to leave, I called and told him plans had changed and we weren’t meeting until roughly 9 p.m. That threw his world for a loop. When he texted me closer to 9 I informed him that dinner plans had changed too.I honestly thought at this point he was going to lose his mind. Obviously he never made split second decisions.

I thought my stomach was going to hurt forever I was laughing so hard at how unadventurous he could be. My friend Eliot constantly reminds me how thankful I am for spontaneity in the world. Life would be dull and useless without change and spontaneity.