I Believe that I make a difference

Craig - Stratham, New Hampshire

I believe that I make a difference in peoples’ lives. In my short life I have had many different role models some good and some bad. I was just like any kid I idolized actors and rock stars. I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life; I was out of shape and didn’t really exercise. So one day in sixth grade as I was walking down the hallway dreading my gym class I walked in and saw a karate teacher there. I was told that he would be there for a week. I thought that was kind of cool. When the week was up I was thirsting for more knowledge so I went and signed up at his school. I thought that I would try it and learn some stuff that was in the movies. After a few lessons I soon learned that Karate is more than just things that we see on TV. I soon learned that it was about a way of life. A few years after I started I stopped idolizing the actors and Rock Stars and I started to look up to my Teachers. They taught me a healthy lifestyle and the always challenged me to do the right thing.

About four years ago I started teaching. I thought that it was cool and that it was a fun thing to do on the side. Shortly into my experience I had another teacher come up to me and tell me that he hoped that I enjoyed it because once I became a teacher I became a role model. When I heard this I started to chuckle to myself saying “why would anyone look up to me of all people” however, I took this statement to heart and began talking to students who looked like they had a bad day at school and I told them that I was here to talk to them. I told them that they weren’t alone and I helped them through problems with bullies or just a bad day.

A few weeks ago when I was having “Circle time” with my class and we were talking about things to be thankful for. I heard the usual things such as; Home, food, and family. Then we get to one student who said that they were thankful for me. This statement was an eye opener for me. I finally figured it out. I do make a difference in other peoples’ lives.

I believe that as long as you try you can make a difference. It took me a long time for it to sink in but, by going and doing what makes me happy, and by living a good lifestyle I can make an impact on people. I can bring them in the right direction and I can truly do a great thing. I can help. I can and I will make a difference