Power of Defeat

Nick - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Power of Defeat

I believe in the power of defeat. Even though I was a football player who loved to win, defeat can teach you many things. Some people say defeat just teaches you how to be loser which is totally wrong, everyone has been defeated at some time in life. I didn’t see this until the biggest game of my freshman year.

I was suiting up for my last game of my freshman year which happened to be my teams chance to be first place in our district. In all the seven years I had played football I had only been on one team that placed first. While standing there in the locker room waiting for the coach to call us out to the field, my mind was racing on how the game would play out my stomach was full of butterflies. Finally he calls us out of that cramped tunnel , we burst on to the field to the cheers of our jubilant fans.

As the game progressed both teams where battling for the lead and neither could seem to score on each other’s impenetrable defense, which made the game so close. I knew it would come done to one good play and that would be the deciding factor of which team would win the game. It was 0 to 0 with 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter and we had the ball. This drive seemed easy to some point we were slowing driving the ball down the field. But as quick as we drove down the field the ball and the game was taken from us in a blink of a eye. The safety intercepted the ball an ran it back for a touchdown. The scoreboard flashed 7 to 0 after the extra point I knew it was game over.

Even though I was shocked that we lost I surprisingly wasn’t to upset at the end of the game. Both teams had played such a good game that losing didn’t feel like defeat usually feels like. Don’t get me wrong I wanted to win that game more than anything in the world but that feeling just seemed to fade away .I guess it taught me that winning wasn’t everything, as long as you left your blood, sweat, and tears on the field meaning you played as hard as you possibly could that was the only thing that counted. Trophy’s get pushed to the back of the shelf or boxed up. But my memories of that game will stay forever in my head with no bad regrets of not giving it my all.

Defeat can teach you many things but the main one I got from this event was you don’t have to win all the time to be a winner in your head. Defeat doesn’t always feel this way but in this case it did and it wasn’t so bad. This I believe in the power of defeat.