One Happy Thought

Marina - Etiwanda, California

Every day may not be a good one, but there is something good in every day. No matter if I feel that nothing is going my way, I am fighting through a struggle, or I feel as if I have hit rock bottom; at the end of the day I can sit back and reflect on at least one blissful thought that I overlooked while dwelling on the negative. While reflecting on a disastrous day, something always makes me laugh or at the very least brings a smile to my face.

Every year the dance team from my studio travels to a national competition in Las Vegas, Nevada. On June 22, 2008, my family and I drove up, while some others decided to drive up later. After arriving at the hotel, I received a phone call informing me that two of the girls from my team had just been in a terrible car accident. Not knowing the extent of the damages, or more importantly if anyone had been injured, everyone started to worry and frantically ask questions to anyone they thought might have some sort of answer.

Two hours passed when the news arrived, one fatality. “This can not be happening!” was my immediate thought. Later that evening I found out it was Brenda. I fell to the hotel room floor and began to cry, wondering, “Why?” The news was devastating.

That night I lay in my bed and reminisced on all the laughs we shared and one in particular put a smile on my face. I remembered when Brenda received a purple and yellow costume; it was the funniest thing ever. The day she was given those colors she kept laughing about how she was going to look like a Laker girl and about how she needed shoes to match. I offered to lend her a pair of my purple Nike’s. She promised me she would take care of them and told me,” You’re a lifesaver, youre the best, thanks!” Her bubbly spirit and optimistic outlook on everyday life helped me to realize that even though she was gone, in spirit, she was still with the team. Some of the dancers and parents from other teams wondered how we could be dancing when we just lost a team member, but had we not; her death would have been for nothing.

Each day of the competition my team danced from their hearts for her. We struggled and hurt inside but were still able to perform at our best. At the end of the day I was able to smile because I knew Brenda was dancing in heaven, looking down and was smiling right back down at me. I know taking a little time to reflect on any day, good or bad, I will be able to smile since I am able to find the good that sometimes needs a little more searching for.