Becky - Katy, Texas
Themes: family, love

Life After Death

As I look at the pictures of him on my wall, I always think about how much he has changed my life. I think about how he influenced my life forever. Even thought I was only five, I still remember that morning waking up to the flashing red and blue lights. It was still dark outside as I started creeping down the stairs. I tried to catch a glimpse of what all was going on downstairs, and but all I saw were strange people in dark blue uniforms going in and out of my parents’ bedroom. A few minutes later, the strangers in my house brought my dad out on moving table and out the front door. That morning, I saw how quickly everything you have can just disappear.

When my dad passed away, it was very sudden and unexpected, and he left my disabled mom with three children. Since I was the oldest, and my mom was not in very good health, it was my duty to carry on what he had left behind. I was relied on for so many things like taking care of my little brother and sister a lot. I was responsible for various responsibilities that other kids my age just did not have. It was a little stressful but mostly very helpful for me to experience all of this at such a young age. I learned early to be thankful of everything I am given because I saw how quickly it can all just disappear.

I believe in life after death, and I am not talking about Casper the friendly ghost or anything like that. Even though he is not here today, my father has taught me more about life than anyone I know. He has helped me become very strong and not let anything get me down. Because of him, I am a very independent and optimistic. One of my aspirations is to become an engineer like he was.

He is my greatest influence to try to do my best and do things that would make him proud. Although he is not with me right now, he has taught me that life is not easy, but he has given me the knowledge and the strength I need to be successful. I know that he is still with me, influencing me everyday to be a as great as a person as he was. This I believe.