More Than Just A Raindrop

Lindsey - solon, Ohio
Themes: family, fear, love

She just layed there. Her body a limp figure in the darkness. How could someone so strong be so weak? Especially at this moment. She couldn’t give up. Not yet. She was my hero, my best friend, my sister.

It was spring break. That’s when it hit. That’s when the monster inside of my sister corrupted, leaving her ill and unreal. Unreal because my sister used to be live and energetic, even when she was sick. This wasn’t her. This was a lazy bum masquerading as my sister. My sister wouldn’t lay on the couch waiting for some sort of change. Whoever this person was, I wanted her gone.

She was sick for days. Throwing up endless amounts of food and not enough misery. In fact, the misery just stayed there. Like a dirty plate sitting on the kitchen counter for months, with no one around to clean it up. You could see the misery when she moved. Her face would grow long, and she dragged her legs behind her like a toy she no longer wanted. Her eyes would roll back like a Ferris wheel. It’s like she thought when her eyes would go back to normal we would all jump out and scream

“SURPRISE! We were only joking Brittney! That pain you feel, oh that’s really nothing, it’s all in your head!” Well I had some news for her; it was no where near April fool’s day. That pain she felt, that was most definitely real. But the doctors didn’t seem to think so.

After my mom called and informed me of what the doctors had said of it being nothing, I decided to relax and watch TV.

“Follow your first instinct, because if you don’t, you could be harming yourself or others, act now…” These were the words that came out of the gray box I used to call my television. I now call it a magical box. Because these words stung me like 1000 bees all attacking my mind at once. Just then, my phone rang, it was my mom telling me they were off to the hospital. Thank you magical box.

If it wasn’t for both of my parents already being gone, I would have been at that hospital. But instead, I desolately watched the rain plunge into the ground and seep into the cracks of the sidewalk. I was frozen there for hours, wondering, how can something so small, like rain, make such a big impact on the earth? In less than five seconds rain takes over my driveway. What if just one raindrop didn’t fall from the sky? Would there be an empty space of concrete that wouldn’t be filled? Does that one raindrop make a difference? I knew where I was going with this. Even with my mind in a fumble, I still knew. My sister, the raindrop that didn’t make it with the rest of the survivors.

Suddenly, a heaven like effect was created. The white walls in my living room all glistened in majesty from the light portraying through the window. It was a car. My car. I grabbed my shoes and sprinted out the door into the pouring rain. In my mind, time was a death factor now. Every second that ticked by, every minute that came about could lead my sister one step closer to the hands of death. I would no longer act slowly. I needed to be with her.

In the hospital, or should I say in the emergency room, I was guided to the room where my sister lay. I turned the corner so fast that I tripped over a trashcan. As I was straightening myself up, my ears rang. I heard something. Something from a familiar voice. I heard laughter. I looked up, there she was. Weak. Fragile. Ill. My face morphed into a face I didn’t know was possible for me. My head cocked to the side, my eyebrows furrowed and my jaw dropped. What was she doing laughing? At a time like this? How?

I didn’t get that girl. I also didn’t get why I was the one crying, and she was the one comforting me. Shouldn’t she have been the scared one? Shouldn’t I have been comforting her? Everything was backwards. Even the time was backwards. I thought I had only been sitting with my sister for five minutes, but it turned out to be five hours. In those five hours, my sister fell asleep, and the nurse reluctantly came in. A frown appeared across her face. “She needs surgery tonight. Her small intestine is inside her larger one.” In seconds of anxiety, men dressed in white came in the room and wheeled her out. I breathed heavily and followed. They were whispering something about how this could be cancerous. My eyes blurred, my legs were giving out. I needed to lie down. And when I did, I fainted.

In my dreams that night, rain was plummeting down from the heavens above. But only one raindrop stood out from the rest, it was colorful and bounced around a lot. Then, it came and stood by me, it never left, not once.

I felt groggy as I was being shaken to life by a man in white. Then I realized this man was a hospital attendant. I sat up knowing he held the truth in his hands. Waiting for an answer, I looked him in the eyes. It was the second he stared back and smiled that I knew.

I walked into her hospital room, and she just layed there, her body a silhouette in the darkness. My loving strong sister was alive. Alive and free from that monster. She turned her head and looked at me, we shared a quick glance and it was then that I realized you don’t know what you have until it’s almost gone. Before, I thought I just had a sibling. I thought I was like the rest of the kids in the world. But it was then, It was then that I knew my sister came into my life and left a footprint on my heart. Leaving me with memories and most importantly love. It only took one fatal incident to prove that to me. But I tend not to jog my memory about this, or anything depressing really, because it’s easier to leave things in the past. We’re all human, we know that. Although I still have signs to prove why I feel a certain way. Just like the footprint on my heart. And that will guide me through everything.