Coutry Life

Matthew - Nolensville, Tennessee
Themes: nature, place

I believe that growing up in the country is better than growing up anywhere else in the world. It has really helped me with making decisions in my life and has helped with making me the person that I am today. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Growing up in the country is the way my parents wanted it for me. I’m glad that they chose this for me. Because, growing up in the country has given me a great privilege. I have grown up on a beef cattle farm in Nolensville, TN. I have been allowed to travel across the country showing my beef cattle. This has taught me responsibility, time management and great work ethics. If I hadn’t grown up in the country, I would not have been able to make these accomplishments.

A lot of people that live in the city think that the country is a boring place to live. But, I will tell you that they are wrong. Because, growing up in the country is fun. When you want to get away from everyone, you can go wherever you want to on the farm. But, if you are in the city, you have to be around people all day long.

The country is also a better place to live because there is so much more to do. No, there aren’t many movie theaters, but it does make it a lot cheaper to go on a date. A fun thing we do in the country is ride four wheelers at night during the summer. One night last summer, some of my friends and me went to Fayetteville to ride four-wheelers. We were riding on a 200 acre farm, running wide open and one of my friends ran his four-wheeler into a pond and got stuck. It took us two hours to get him and his four-wheeler out. Then during deer season, we go camping, when it’s really cold. That is the best time, when you wake up, grab your gun and go hunting. Then you shoot a 10 or 12 point buck and bring it home to show your friends. We have contest to see who can shoot the biggest buck.

Another great thing about living in the country was learning to drive. When I was seven years old, my grandfather took me to a huge hayfield and taught me how to drive a manual transmission truck. It took several days, but I learned at that young age to drive. From that time on, I drove all of our tractors to haul hay and move equipment. Once, I drove our tractor about 20 miles from our farm to another farm. My grandfather followed me with his truck. A friend of his asked later, why I was driving a tractor on Nolensville Road, my grandfathers response was, “we had to get the tractor there somehow, and Matthew doesn’t have a drivers license.” Most kids that learn to drive in the city are taught at school or just start driving with their parents.

I have lived in both the city and the country. I lived in the country for 19 years and then moved to the city to attend college. Living in the city has taught me how lucky I am to have been raised in the country. It is noisy and loud in the city. That is one thing nice about the country. You can sit on your front porch and watch the lightning bugs at night in the peace and quiet. This is the way I was raised and I hope to raise my kids the same.