David - Austin, Texas

I believe in the power of determination. Determination is the single most important factor in the success, or failure, of any endeavor. The famous strongman “The Mighty Atom” has a famous saying, “Strengthen the mind, and the rest will follow.” This is true for any goal that we wish to accomplish in our lives. One memory that stands out to me as an example of my own determination dates back several years. When I was in Junior High, I had an interest in computers. However, the house computer that my family owned was, to put it bluntly, a piece of junk. I was determined to get a computer of my own that would be able to keep up with all of the latest software. I didn’t want just any new computer, though, I wanted to build my own. It presented to me a unique challenge and opportunity.

I was greeted with two primary obstacles facing me in my new-found task: capital and knowledge. I had no spending money and no knowledge of computer assembly. However, a determined mind is not easily swayed. I recall that my own father had doubts as to my abilities to proficiently assemble my own computer. He suggested the more practical route of simply buying a customized computer from a manufacturer. This route would have saved time and energy, but I never veered from my course. I had my eyes set on my goal and I was not going to look away. For many months I worked any sort of job for anyone that would let me. Mowing yards, cleaning dishes, and digging trenches were all stepping stones to final goal. In the meantime I also occupied myself with the task of learning what exactly I would do with the money once I got it. For a Junior High student with no previous background in electronics, computer assembly manuals are no easy feat. The day finally came where I had mowed my last yard and deposited my last fistful of cash into my new bank savings account. After many months of work and preparation, I was finally ready to begin my task. With the help of one of my father’s coworkers, my mission to build my first PC had finally culminated in success.

Though others may doubt us, or the paths we choose to take, we must stand strong in our commitment to our choices. A determined mind is a difficult thing to stop. The determination to fulfill one’s goals has a profound impact on the progression that can be seen in our own lives. Although our progress may at times be halted, a determined mind is forever pushing forward.