The Complete Honest Truth

Jessica - Virginia Beach, Virginia

If there is no honesty in a relationship, then you have nothing. I believe that parents should be honest with their children, because shielding them from the truth will only end up hurting them. I am very grateful to have a family like mine because they have always been very honest with me, ever since I was little. Having an open and honest relationship with your family helps create a great sense of self-esteem and confidence because you know you can always go to them if you ever need help.

I’ll never forget the day I learned what a gay relationship was. My mom and I were doing the dishes and I looked up to my mom and said, “Why doesn’t Uncle Gary live with a boy instead of a girl?” Her eyes widened and all she could do was stare at me in shock. She look at me and simply said, “Because he loves him,” that just confused me even more, so I kept asking her questions to find out more about it. She said, “When a boy likes a boy he is gay and when a girl likes a girl she is a lesbian. It’s not a bad or a weird thing, it’s just a different way to live your life. They love just the same as anyone else, and they deserve to be in a happy relationship.” I will never forget the way she explained the situation because she said it with such confidence and was not scared to tell me the truth. From that day on gay relationships were completely natural to me.

I do remember one time when my mom did not tell me the whole truth. I was eating breakfast with my mom at our table and I saw something strange. I looked out the window and saw a guy jumping off our roof, when he landed he ran and jumped over our fence. I was so stunned that I could not say anything. I could not understand why a guy would jump off our roof, that’s when I remembered that my sisters’ room was right above the kitchen. My sister Kristin was seventeen and was dating a guy that my parents did not like, his name was Brad.

I asked my mom, “Why did Brad jump out the roof instead of walking out the door?” She just looked at me and dropped her fork on her plate. I asked again and all she would say was “Don’t worry about it” and ran upstairs to talk to Kristin. I was trying to listen, but all I could hear was them yelling at each other. When my mom calmed down, I tried asking her again but she still refused to tell me. I so mad because we were supposed to be completely honest with each other but she would not tell me.

Telling children the truth will not make them grow up faster, it will simply make your relationship stronger.