A Family Tradition

James - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe in family and the traditions that are created. I believe that Christmas cannot be celebrated properly without baking a cake for Jesus. Being able to come together as a family and celebrate our creator’s special day is important to me. It reminds me of the importance of him in my life throughout the year. Family traditions must be valued and kept alive. I believe that family traditions make our families unique and different from everyone else.

Every year on Christmas Eve, my family assembles in my kitchen with aprons and puffy white chef hats on. I love to get into the baking process. I walk around the kitchen and try to imitate Emeril Lagasse from the cooking channel. I yell “BAM” after every ingredient that I add. My dad and I are the ones who make the batter for the cake while my mom prepares the delicious icing. After the utensils have been used, I act like I am a five again and lick off all of the icing and cake batter. While the cake bakes, we blast Christmas music from my stereo and sing at the top of our lungs. Once the cake has cooled, I spread the chocolate icing all over the cake. Finally, I write “Happy Birthday Jesus” in red letters in the center of the cake. The masterpiece has been created.

After an anxious night, Christmas arrives. As soon as our dinner feast is over, it is finally time to celebrate Jesus’ birthday. My family gathers around the kitchen table with the delicious cake sitting in the middle of the table. My dad places a red candle in the center of it. He strikes a match and ignites the candle. We then sing “Happy Birthday” in harmony and dig into the masterpiece that we created. As we eat the delicious cake, we talk about our tradition and how much it means to us. We all would be lost without our tradition on Christmas.

My belief in family tradition allows me to thank God for giving me the opportunity every day to live life. It also allows me to spend time with my wonderful family. This tradition has continuously been passed down in my family for hundreds of years. It is a tradition that I will pass on to my children and hope that they will do the same.

This tradition defines what my family believes. It shows our love for God. I think it’s important to have a simple family tradition still alive today. I’m proud to be a part of this tradition. I know that through a birthday cake, every Christmas will be celebrated properly in my family.