I Believe in Family

Lindsey - Kerrville, Texas

I believe in family, and I believe that love flourishes in families. I grew up in a home that was overflowing with love and constant acts of kindness. Looking back, it seems like all of my memories are happy ones. I know that it is highly unlikely that nothing bad ever happened in my family. However, because I have had so many uplifting and happy times, the ones that were not so good have faded from my memory over the years.

When I think of my childhood, the same image always appears. It is the simplest memory, but it was one of the most meaningful. Throughout elementary school, my mother would pick me up every day. She would park her car and walk up to the pickup zone, and we would hold hands back to her car. Occasionally, we would even skip across the street together. It was the highlight of my days. I could count on my Mom to show up each day, and regardless of how she was feeling, she would be glowing with joy when she saw me. It made me so happy; my Mom was the only mom that walked to pick up their child! I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. When my mother realized how much happiness it brought me, she decided to make it a ritual. Her kindness to me was contagious. When we arrived back at home, I remember writing “Thank You” and “I love you” notes to my family and friends for no particular reason. I loved helping my sister with her schoolwork because I knew how much joy it would bring to her. My dad would come home from a long day at his office, and my sister and I would be ready with silly jokes to make him laugh and smile. It became a cycle of kindness in our home. This love and our giving spirit couldn’t help but follow us everywhere.

This is love. Simple acts that my family does for me make my days so much brighter. My life is easier and much more pleasant because of the love of my family. To me, this is what family means. I know I am very lucky to have such a positive representation of family; my own family has strengthened my belief in the power of loving families. I think that families are worth fighting for. I know this is cliché, but love will conquer all, and families are proof of that. My family is proof, and I believe in my family.