I believe in the good in people

Jesse - Solon, Ohio
Themes: humanism

I Believe

I remember the first time my mom explained to me the biblical story of Adam and Eve. At the age of seven, curiosity over whelmed me. My mom was wearing a black nylon skirt with a blue over coat. It was an arctic winter day and we were driving home from church, which is why I asked the question “Mom, how did people get on earth?”

My mom was stunned by my question, but more than ready to respond to it. She briefly explained to me with confidence how God created every last thing on this earth, including the first human beings Adam and Eve. God created them perfect and had they had no boundaries’ to what they can do, except God warned them to not eat apples from a certain apple tree. To get to the point, Eve was discussing with a serpent and the serpent told Eve to eat the apple. Later in the story Eve gets Adam to eat the apple too. She knew it was wrong but he did it any way. Little did she know that the serpent was the devil and God was very disappointed at Eve and Adam. In addition to her deception towards God, this story shows how sin was created in our own world.

I remember how I just sat there, in my cold seat, in disbelief that they could do something like to go against Gods words. I remember glancing out the window at the cold, bitter, snow filled trees. The winter greens were like giants standing alone and cold. As I watched my breath fog up the glass and allowing my head to rest against the window, I wondered what does the story mean to me. And now I can piece it together. Piece together that every one, every soul is created good, but society corrupts them. And this I believe to be very true. This lesson, as I like to refer it to, can be a sentence of hope. It shows that every one has good inside them, no matter how evil they may seem. Also I believe that the story of Adam and Eve is the best explanation for people are created good, but society corrupts them, because both Adam and Eve were created perfect, but society, or the devil in this story, corrupted them. You also can observe this lesson every where you go. For example certainly a child with no education or no knowledge of the world around them doesn’t want evil, they want to be loved and held. Certainly Hitler as an infant didn’t want to cause pain. And this I believe.