your heart will break

Sarah - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Themes: love, setbacks

Your heart will break…

I was 22 when I met my husband, 26 when I married him, and 28 when we filed for divorce. I will be 29 when we finalize the end of our relationship. I have learned many things through this experience – that anger need not (and should not) be expressed with violence, that words (although intangible) can hurt and burn worse than a fist, that happiness is not standard (not one size fits all), that no one can define you but yourself, and that no one should pull you away from your family or friends…for they are (and will always be) the liquid nails that will hold you together.

Through this experience, I have felt my heart break…literally into pieces. There are pieces of it scattered through this town. At our coffee shop, in my classroom, in my parent’s kitchen, on the beach where I said “yes” and the room where I said “I do.” There are pieces thrown through my home and littering my car.

I’m not sure how these pieces will come together – or if they ever will – but I believe that when you heart breaks, you still survive.