i believe in a mothers love

Jessie - Solon, Ohio

“Should I do it? I don’t know. Okay, I think I’ll do it. No, maybe I shouldn’t. I don’t know!!!

“I can’t make this decision for you, but whatever you decide is the right choice. We love you and we will support you with anything you decide to do; that’s legal of course. We will help you get your life back on track after the wreck. Your father and I know that decisions like these are hard, but you will be faced with them your whole life. We will give you our input, but you will have to make the final call and we will be right there with you.”

My mom is always really good with the advice. When you are stuck in a position with more than one door open to you, good or bad, she won’t just leave you in the dust. I don’t know if being a social worker has something to do with it, but my mom will help you with the position you are in, and brace you for the next time it comes around.

I saw the head of short, curly hair at the computer. The bright, glowing light from the computer screen shimmering off her face; like the light from a cell phone as someone reads a text in a dark movie theater.

Is she paying bills? Is it something I could interrupt? Of course. She always makes time when I need her. As I approached her, I saw a faint smile come across her face; as if she could read my mind and hear me saying all this. I got closer and saw that she was reading her email. One my dad sent her. He sent it to me earlier and I found the same grin unconsciously come across my face. She perceived the sound of my footsteps.

“Hey Jess. What’s up?”

“I still can’t decide whether to do softball or not! I don’t know why this is so hard! It shouldn’t be, should it? I mean if I really wanted to do it then I would know!”

“Well, let’s list all the good things about doing it and the bad things about doing it.” My mom suggested, trying to get me to think clearly.

“Okay. Well, I get to be a part of a great team, get great exercise everyday, learn a lot, and make new friends. Also I can letter in it. That would be cool.” I listed.

“See? There are a lot of pros for going out for the team. Now what are the cons?”

“It’s going to be really hard. A lot of effort.”

“Since when has a little hard work ever been a problem for you?” My mom immediately contradicted.

“It’s also going to take up a lot of my time.”

“When you do have free time, you spend it on the computer anyway!”

I thought hard about what to say next. I knew that whatever came out of my mouth she would turn it around and make it positive.

“Jessie, consider this for a second; what do you really have to lose? If you find out you don’t like it, then quite. But I know you’re not that type of kid. When you have a problem or conflict, you get through it, no matter what.”

I promised myself that the previous time I said this would be the last:

“I guess you’re right, I’ll try out. Thanks.”

Problems like these, or big problems that engulf your world; if you have no one by your side, look to your right, and there will stand your mom.