I Believe in Family

Brooke - Solon, Ohio
Themes: family, love

What happened to my grandma might have changed us more than it did her.

When I was younger my grandma was always there for me. I know many people don’t have all of their grandparents so near by so I guess I’m pretty lucky. Every Tuesday and Thursday I’d come home from school, running up the driveway to come see my grandma and let her make me a snack and sit down to help me with my homework. That was until April 2002.

I came home from school one day expecting to see my grandma but instead my mom was waiting for me. “Your grandma’s in the hospital. She had a stroke” my mom explained.

“What does that mean?” I replied.

“Half of her body is damaged; she can’t move the whole left side of her body; she can’t walk or talk right now.” I just couldn’t grasp the concept. That just couldn’t be possible.

The rest of that week my mom and younger sister went to visit her. I couldn’t and I didn’t want to. I hated hospitals and I hated them even more when someone I knew was in there. I didn’t want to see my grandma like that, lying in bed, not being able to move. The next week my mom finally said it’s time for you to see her. I really didn’t want to go, my mom had to pick me up and put me in the car while I was crying. When we finally got there I hated it already. It all smelled and looked too clean, as if the floor was washed five minutes ago. We walked silently down the long, bright hall, my mom holding mine and my sisters hand while I was trembling. We walked in then I saw her. She looked just the same except for all the tubes connected to her with also the lack of make up and sleep. I expected her to say, “Hi Brookie,” and give me a hug, but nothing. She just laid there staring at us. My mom made me walk over there and give her a hug so I did but it felt so awkward as if I’d just met this stranger. She just didn’t seem like the grandma I knew my whole life. We went home and I started crying, “I want my grandma back.”

After a few weeks my grandma was moved to somewhat of a nursing home where they could watch her. I kind of liked going there because I would lie on her couch and watch TV next to her or go play with a rabbit that lived down the hall. We also loved taking walks around a large, sunny, outside circle in the middle of the building. After about half a year my grandpa decided to take her home. We were all very excited for her, but they ended up moving because she couldn’t get up the stairs to get to the bedroom. So they moved to Solon and are now still living here.

My grandma has always been very stubborn and she still is. It’s been 7 years now and she won’t try to walk or talk. She can walk into the car and into bed and that’s about it. She’s still my grandma and I love her very much, but we all wish she would just try. They come over almost every Sunday for dinner and we always play monopoly, and bring their dog over to play with ours. She loves it so much.

I believe that you should love your family and friends no matter what. If anything happens to them or you, they’re still the same people they always were. Nothing changes.